Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tool #8: Taking a Look at the Tools

I think it's really great that classrooms will have so many devices available in the classroom.  "In the Classroom" is the biggest key to advancing technology in schools.  I learned how to create a itunes account through Spring Branch for the ipad I am borrowing this summer.  I will be sad to give it up.  I also learned about the webcam and how it works on the mini dells.

As far as managing the devices in the classroom.  I don't have a classroom and will not have devices to manage. I will be working with teachers and pulling small groups.  I have limited time (30 minutes) with the students I work with so not sure that I will be using that much technology with them.  There will be times I do and we will set rules accordingly.  However, in classrooms I feel setting up "Techsperts" is key.  Children are quite savvy, and can help each other which will take a huge burden off the classroom teacher.  It will be important of course to set up rules "How Devices are used in our Room".   It will also be imperative to establish  proper ways of responding.  Consume, Critique, Produce (CCP) framework is the perfect way for this.  Students should spend time consuming responses and then critiquing them.  From there teachers can create checklists of what should and should not happen when responding.  That way when students produce, they will know what is expected because they were part of creating those expectations.

Climbing on to Tool 9...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know you are welcome to bring students to the library and use the library "devices" anytime you'd like.