Monday, June 20, 2011

Tool #6: Using Web Tools to Promote Discussion...

There are many ways to use technology to promote discussion.    Wallwisher is one of many tools for this.  All you have to do is post a topic and then anyone, without having to register, can post a "sticky note" on it.  It's really simple to use but quite inventive.  What's more, you can add links, video's or pictures to your sticky note for anyone to view.  What a great station idea.  After reading a book or article, you could create a wall for students to respond to.  It's especially great for students that are shy or not much into writing.  They can read other responses to help them respond.  As a presenter, it is also a novel way to have people respond to your presentation.  This is something I will definitely use. Below is the wallwisher I created.  Please feel free to post a note.


 I had heard about Today's meet from my principal so I took the opportunity to explore.  This is truly a great tool for meetings.  As the presenter is talking, attendees can type in questions and comments anonymously.  Again, this is a site that no registration is required.  The presenter can answer and taylor the presentation based on this immediate feedback.  You can also print out transcripts from it.  What's even better is that this can be done from cell phones or any device with an internet connection.

  You gotta love skype!  I have a webcam on my personal computer and have skyped with my nieces and nephews in another state.  It's wonderful!  There are many uses for this in education.  Discussing this tool with a colleague, he shared how his class got to watch baby eagles hatching from a site that had placed a webcam on a nest.  My librarian often has authors visit our school but not all classes get to participate due to space.  With skype, classes could tune in and watch from their classrooms if they were unable to attend.  

Following the rainbow onto #7

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for helping out today! I left you a couple of stickies on your wall - I hope they show up!