Friday, July 11, 2008

Thing #6


Big Huge Labs, what a great place. I looked through the trading cards and believe as most that there is a lot you can do with them especially in social studies and science. In writing, this might be fun to utilize with book reviews.

I spent most of my time on the magazine cover. I created one using a picture of my Dad's bluegrass band. It was easy to do and I can see how kids would be able to utilize it easy enough. My only complaint was the lack of options on the layout. I wish that I would have been able to move things around and control the size of my picture, change font and backgrounds, etc. Through this, I did learn more about flickr. My picture was cropped more than I would have liked on the magazine page, so I uploaded it to flickr and through picnic on flickr, I was able to resize it to fit they way I mostly wanted on my magazine cover. I love picnic.

There is more here I intend to play with. I am giving a training in August with a group of teachers and intend on including a few of these as part of the training. I think mosaic maker, with kindergarten students, or even trading cards potentionally with some of the "research" they do.

I am loving the learning.

2 comments:

VWB said...

yes, these free things do have some limitations that have to be dealt with...sounds like you managed just fine.
it's good to know that you are going to share your finds!

Unknown said...

I didn't know your Dad played Blue Grass - what fun!
I think Magazine Covers would be wonderful to use with 4th grade - nice change from those Texas Indian Reports which are soooo boring and the kids hate them.