Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thing #8 RSS Feeds

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/06394150381610539219

The above link is to my public google reader share page.

I like RSS. The ability to look at things of interest on one page is great, especially since it lets you know when knew stuff is added. I've put a few things on there as a start but I know that I will continually add and change. I have several sites on my favorites list that I constantly go back and forth to but now this will be so much easier. I also like that it is very easy to use.

RSS feeds have many uses for school. As a SIS, I think this would be a great way to share information about education across the school without sending mass emails. Considering all that is going on with SBEC and the changes in TEKS. This would be a great way to share the news as well as opinions through blogs with teachers. I can also see this being utilized in classrooms, especially upper grades. I know our 5th grade teachers do much with current events and setting up share page would be helpful for kids to pick and read from a variety of sources. I can also see setting it up to include specific topics that are being covered.

As far as libraries making use of this, I think that's a given that it would be useful for many of the same reasons. I know our librarian teaches a blogging class for students. Setting up this and including the blogs from the students would be a great way for a person, teacher or student to go on and read and comment on blogs with out having to look up all of them and it would include the most current. There are other ways as well. I know our librarian is on top of things and probably has thought of other ways. She has taken this course so I'm really looking forward to talking with her when school starts back.

No comments: