Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing #16: Wikis

This will be a savior! I am doing a presentation on dialogue journals and literacy letters. Wikis will be perfect for this. While, I will show the "old-fashioned way" with paper and ideas and suggestions, I am now going to really promote utilizing a wiki. We want students to talk/write to each other about their reading from book clubs and other things. This will be a much better way to get that kind of interaction going. I believe students will engage more in this format. Plus, as a teacher it will be so much easier to read and check on what they are writing without lugging tons of journals home. While I am focusing on language arts, obviously this can be used to enhance dialogue in social studies and science as well. Plus there are multiple other uses for wikis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just did my first multi page Wiki for the New Teacher Orientation. I'm going to be radical and offer an orientation with NO HANDOUTS and tell the folks they won't need to take notes. Wish me luck!